FreeBSD vs. window managers

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sat Sep 3 07:44:14 PDT 2005

Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> writes:

> So, two things that are important: ease of configuration and
> flexibility.  You want those small tweaks to be painless, but you also
> want the WM to be able to do what you want it to.  So far, I've not
> found anything I wanted that FVWM2 couldn't do.  Documentation (man
> pages) are well written enough that tweaks are pretty easy to manage
> now too.

Amen.  Want to do something?  Read "man fvwm", edit ".fvwm2".  Done.
I gave KDE a couple of good tries and while it's nice to have on the
Gnoppix Live CDROM, for example, I don't want to climb it's learning
curve to configure it to my own preferences in daily use.

I keep the right 1.5" of my 4-page screen normally devoted to a column
of gizmos that do everything I need to do.  You can easily write
gizmos (eg, Tk/Python) and hook them it into fvwm's button/display
system, though fvwm has all the built-in gizmos I've needed except
my online/offline button/indicator/GMT-display.