portsdb question

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Sat Sep 3 06:47:48 PDT 2005

Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it normal for portsdb -uU to require 2 hours to complete (Pentium
> III // 450 MHz // FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE from 07/27 and KERNEL = GENERIC
> with very, very slight modifications primarily for architecture and
> Mplayer)?

Yes, it can take a lot of time (-U option creates/updates INDEX file).

 I found out about this because many have recommended using
> portversion because of its speed over pkg_version, however when I  sync
> my Ports tree, pkg_version will report to me updated information
> whereas portversion will not, and the only way I have found to have  it
> report updated information is to run portsdb -uU (the big U is  what
> takes forever and is the crucial one of those flags), which  takes two
> hours and, consequently, kills the overall speed claim  mentioned above.
> Considering what I can build (from source) or  scientifically compute in
> two hours, I think my machine is doing  something it shouldn't be. Does
> anyone have any ideas?

You can fetch INDEX file instead of building it. Just run 'make
fetchindex' in ports directory:

	# cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex && portsdb -u

Also have a look at 'man ports'. Hope that helps.

> I should note here that I did Google this, check the FAQ, and check  the
> documentation. I have been known to accidentally miss items in  these
> areas, so if I did, I do apologize.

Regards,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>