Problems to setup one PCI SCSI Card? Freebsd 5.4-p6

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Sep 3 03:10:41 PDT 2005

perikillo wrote:

>  Hi people i need to install one SCSI PCI card, the chip is support
>by freebsd 5.4 hardware using the driver ahc:
>
> Chip 26160N Adaptec
>
>  I read the man pages for the driver ahc(4), and say this:
>
>SYNOPSIS
>     For one or more VL/EISA cards:
>     device eisa
>     device ahc
>
>     For one or more PCI cards:
>     device pci
>     device ahc
>
>     To allow PCI adapters to use memory mapped I/O if enabled:
>     options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO
>
>     To configure one or more controllers to assume the target role:
>     options AHC_TMODE_ENABLE <bitmask of units>
>
>     For one or more SCSI busses:
>     device scbus
>
>  But i dosent understand what options i need in my kernel config
>file, i have by default
>
>device eisa
>device pci
>
>   Them i add
>
>device ahc
>options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO
>

>  And them "make" give me error code 1, i remove options
>AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO  and give me again errors, my motherboard dosent have
>any internal SCSI stuff.

It's irrelevant whether your motherboard has SCSI, you are adding a SCSI
card so need SCSI options.

My config has

device          scbus           #base SCSI code
#device         ch              #SCSI media changers
device          da              #SCSI direct access devices (aka disks)
device          sa              #SCSI tapes
device          cd              #SCSI CD-ROMs
device          ses             #SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
#device         pt              #SCSI processor
#device         targ            #SCSI Target Mode Code
#device         targbh          #SCSI Target Mode Blackhole Device
device          pass            #CAM passthrough driver
device          ahc

Go to /usr/src/syc and read ../../conf/NOTES and NOTES which make up
pretty much every option you can put into a kernel.

scbus is mandatory and you can pick and choose the others depending on
what you are going to attach.  (Don't ask me what a SCSI Environmental
Service is though).  You might also want

device          atapicam        # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto
via CAM

which allows atapi CDs and DVDs to be seen by the SCSI CAM code.  This
is particularly useful if you intend to burn CDs with (I think) cdrecord
and probably other things as well.

I've never used AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO so have no idea of its benefits or
drawbacks.

--Alex