sed not working

Rein Kadastik wigry at uninet.ee
Fri Sep 2 13:25:44 PDT 2005

Hi

I have a problem with sed on one of my systems.

Lets take the following command:

sed -e '/^\([a-z_][a-z_]*\) /s//\1 gen_/'

On all other systems the input would be transformed:
int something() -> int gen_something()

On the broken system, the transformation is not done:
int something() -> int something()

The broken system used to be 4.6-STABLE but I managed to upgrade it to
4.11-RELEASE-p11, hoping that the update procedure will fix the sed, but
apparently not. Imagine the make buildworld without working sed :)
Anyway I generated the files on other working system so I managed to get
through the buildworld part. Installkernel and installworld did not used
sed so no problems there.

Does anybody have some ideas, what would be the reason? I tested the sed
command also on 4.8-RELEASE and 4.10-STABLE where it works nicely. Even
copied the sed over from working systems but no luck.

-- Rein