best OCR scanner??

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 2 11:36:09 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:46:27AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:07:26PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >         People,
> >
> >         I want to scan ~400 pp of an out-of-print and out-of-copyright
> >         book (from 1913) and need to know what the best scanner is

Any scanner that works with SANE (http://www.sane-project.org/) scanner
support framework should do. For supported hardware see:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Epson seems to have the most supported scanners. I've got an Epson
Perfection 1650, which works fine.

> >         and if there has been substantial improvement in OCR
> >         software in recent years.  This book has few footnotes
> >         or different typefaces, so it should make things easier.

There are several free OCR programs. I've used gocr
(http://jocr.sourceforge.net/ and no, that's not a typo) and ocrad
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html)

Ocrad works ok, but you'll definitely have to correct errors, depending
on the quality of the pictures/scans.

HTH,

Roland
--