Four (even five) problems/queries on my FreeBSD installation

Yuan Jue yuanjue122 at 163.com
Fri Sep 2 01:31:34 PDT 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 15:45, lars.lindblad wrote:
> Hi. I have installed 5.4/KDE on my Thinkpad 600E, and it
> mostly works but there are a few things I need help with.
>
> (Please note that I still consider myself being a newbie on
> FreeBSD!) ;)
>
> 1. I installed KDM to make the computer a little more
> userfriendly, but now I can't run things as su. Emacs
> refuses to start for instance, and when I am trying to
> adjust things in Login Manager (in KControl) it asks me for
> the root password, I enter it, and then I bounce back. What
> is the problem? I still can run emacs as lars, but not as
> superuser. (I can su in a terminal window of course)

maybe  "kcheckpass" don't have the right permission for users, if so, you can
"chmod u+s kcheckpass" to get the "su" run again. Note, the stuff needs to be
done as root; maybe you need to login as root to do it. ^_^

> 2. During my window years (those are goodbye now! ;) I
> bought a TwinMos 256Mb USB-memory, and FreeBSD finds an
> umass device when I put it in my Thinkpad, but how will I
> mount it? Can it be done?

if you never configured the kernel, the USB device should work in FB5.4
directly.
cd /dev and find how it is recognized by FB, say as da0 or da0s1 or something
like this.
Then you can mount it like this:
mount_msdosfs /dev/da0(s1)  /mnt/usb
gook luck!

> 3. Since I installed KDM I got the "Turn off
> computer"-option in KDE, but it only runs FreeBSD to a halt,
> not to a complete power down - how will I chance that?

anyone else know about this issue? maybe ACPI problem?

> 4. As su I can use tab to complete filenames, but not as
> user lars. I guess it has to to with which shell I use, how
> do I change shell? Or is it another way I can get the
> possibility to use tab to complete filenames?

In default setting, root use csh, while general users use sh which doesn't
support many useful features. But you can always change your shell using
chsh.

> 5. My girlfriend found the Klickety-game in KDE - anyone
> else here having the same problem? Your computer being taken
> by someone who wants to play the games so you cannot sit for
> hours and hours and have fun tweaking the system? ;)
>
> Hope someone can help me! Thanks in advance!

Sorry, never have that problem ^_^

Yuan Jue