bsdlabel on slice vs on mirror

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Sep 2 00:04:51 PDT 2005

Hi there,
I have a RAID1 with gmirror between ad6s1 and ad10s1:
Name    Status  Components
mirror/mirror_swap  COMPLETE  ad6s1
                              ad10s1

If I run bsdlabel on ad6s1 I get the 'partition c ' error:
--
# bsdlabel ad6s1
# /dev/ad6s1:

but if I do it on the mirror, it shows the *same* info, but no error:
# bsdlabel /dev/mirror/mirror_swap
# /dev/mirror/mirror_swap:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 20964304        0      swap
  c: 20964320        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

 From fdisk
# fdisk -s ad6
/dev/ad6: 484521 cyl 16 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63    20964321 0xa5 0x00
   2:    20964825   467426295 0xa5 0x00

# uname -rm
6.0-BETA3 amd64

I can see that it seems ad6s1c is actually 1 sector smaller than the
whole slice (20964320 vs 20964321 ). Other than that, the system is
working ok.
  1) how serious is the problem?
  2) Why doesn't it show the same error on the mirror? Is it because the
mirror is actually 1 sec smaller than the slices that make the mirror?

I tried to fix it via:
bsdlabel -R /dev/ad6s1   partition_mirror_swap.txt

but I get:
# bsdlabel -R /dev/ad6s1   partition_mirror_swap.txt
bsdlabel: Geom not found

which doesn't make sense as
a) I have mirrors running
b) geom_mirror is built into the kernel

# cat partition_mirror_swap.txt
# /dev/mirror/mirror_swap:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 20964304        0    swap          0     0
  c: 20964321        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

thanks in advance,
Beto