and the winner is...

James Bowman Sineath, III sineathj1 at citadel.edu
Thu Sep 1 17:34:49 PDT 2005

>I there, i was trying freebsd for a while, and comparing it against
>debian/linux.
>The winner was Debian by far... Freebsd could be stable, but it is not
>faster... and Debian is far much more 'usable'.
 >Freebsd package installation is very laborious compared with Debian's apt
>system. I have to search in each CD, know dependences,...
 >X configuration is hard too when the autodetected configuration doesn't
>works...
 >I think fbsd is good, but needs some user facilities.

You are going to need a stronger arguement against FreeBSD than "..needs
some user facilities".

It appears to me that you haven't used either for very long and therefore do
not have much of a right to say which is better or worse, no offense. If you
went into more detail with your reasoning then I believe you would be taken
more seriously, but you fail to show me an legitimate reason that I should
install debian over BSD on my next box.

As far as installation being too difficult, I downloaded the debian distro
and installed it on my laptop. I had more difficulty trying to get it to
work than I ever had using FreeBSD. Also, lets not forget that easier
doesn't always mean better. I know several people that use Linux over
FreeBSD due to how they claim it is easier configure and setup, however I
don't find FreeBSD that difficult to setup, especially in comparison to
Linux. I believe that once you have become familiar with the process and
worked with it, setting up and securing BSD is not all that difficult and is
well worth the effort (in my opinion).

Bow Sineath
Class of 2006, the Citadel
sineathj1 at citadel.edu - bow.sineath at gmail.com