Freebsd 5.4 seg fault with any passwd command

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:30:48 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05, Jim Janovich <jimjano at ptd.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am running 5.4 on an i386 and with any passwd-like command, passwd,
> chpass, chsh, I get a seg fault core dump.  Any ideas?  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it's anywhere near related, but I've had issues like that
with linux when I was experimenting with PAM, Shadow, and cracklib. If
you have been messing with that stuff it may be a similar problem.
AFAIK the issue was a shadow bug, which was fixed in releases that
followed.  Just mentioning it in case...

Mike