How can I stop "discard oversize frame" errors?

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Sep 1 10:55:37 PDT 2005

Bryan Albright wrote:
> On 09/01/05 at 11:08AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>
>>Bryan Albright wrote:
>>[ ... ]
>>
>>>fxp0: discard oversize frame (ether type 800 flags 3 len 1573 > max 1514)
>>>fxp0: discard oversize frame (ether type 800 flags 3 len 1533 > max 1514)
>>>fxp0: discard oversize frame (ether type 5555 flags 3 len 1520 > max 1514)
>>>fxp0: discard oversize frame (ether type 800 flags 3 len 1564 > max 1514)
>>>
>>>I have 2 NICs in my machine, both intel etherexpress pro:
>>
>>Try setting an mtu of 1450 or so.  You can add that to the ifconfig lines
>>in /etc/rc.conf, or run "ifconfig fxp0 mtu 1400" directly.
>>

> I've tried to do that, but the fxp cards do not seem to allow
> modifying the mtu settings.  It does have the capability of modifying
> the vlanmtu, but I don't know if this will affect/help this issue.

Isn't this message being generated when the router sends a packet
that exceeds fxp0's MTU, so... the solution is to tune the router's
MTU, rather than fxp0? I am admittedly just guessing, but
intuitively that seems right.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348