mail proxy problem

Yuan Jue yuanjue122 at 163.com
Thu Sep 1 09:51:31 PDT 2005

Hello, everyone.

I have a problem here. As a student of one of the universities in China, I
cannot connect to other countries directly, we kind of using an intranet
called CERNET which do not allow directly connect to abroad. When browsering
the web, I need http proxy. And since I have a gmail, I want to use some mail
client to receive/post my mails from gmail, so I still need a socks proxy.

Finding a socks proxy is not a big problem. The problem is, I can not use the
proxy in Kmail, which is now my main mail client since my WM is KDE. The
KBiff (a mail notifier for KDE) also can not connect to gmail. My question
is: Is there any proxy tools that can set one program to use a certain proxy
while other programs are still unaffected, because I don't want to use a
global proxy, and it can not set global socks proxy in KDE, right?

Does anybody have some suggestions? Any solution to my problem, say the
receive/post/notify mails problem, is appreciated.