named slave not refreshing

daniel danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 1 08:41:37 PDT 2005

I thought I had this whole Bind thing under control, but it turns out that I'm
still missing something.  Here's my setup:

  local server (192.168.0.11) is master for domain "w.x.y.z"
  local server (192.168.0.12) is slave to 192.168.0.11 for "w.x.y.z"

If /etc/namedb/slave/ on the slave is empty and i start named, everything
works as expected.  /etc/namedb/slave/w.x.y.z.db is populated with the values
on the master server.

However, if i change the values on the master and run

  # rndc refresh w.x.y.z

on the slave, nothing is updated.  I let it go overnight and still nothing
changed.  If I restart named on the slave, nothing is updated either.  But if
delete /etc/namedb/slave/w.x.y.z.db and restart the server, THEN it gets the
new values.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

--
all that is necessary for the forces of evil to prevail in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.