upgrading perl -ports

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Thu Sep 1 01:31:18 PDT 2005

Zan wrote:

> uname -m = i386
> which -a perl =
> /usr/local/bin/perl
> /usr/bin/perl
>

>> Please show:
>>  uname -m
>>  which -a perl
>>

> On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 01:30 P:M, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Zan <zan6669 at comcast.net> writes:
>>
>>> in my /usr/local/bin I can clearly see that there is a newer version
>>> of perl (5.8.0) already there, but when I type 'perl -v' I see that
>>> I'm running off of 5.0. Is there anything else I can do besides trying
>>> the "use.perl port" command? Because that doesn't seem to work, and my
>>> jail did not come with a ports collection.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!
>>

>> Please show:
>>  uname -m
>>  which -a perl

Just a little side-note. After performing such an upgrade of Perl it's
likely that some applications will not work, since a lot of them expect
your old version of Perl. Recompiling those applications does the trick.
At least, that's what I noticed when upgrading from 5.8.6 to 5.8.7. And
just so you know, there are ALOT of applications dependent of Perl.

About your problem, you should really recompile Perl from the ports-tree
if you want to upgrade your Perl version. And after you did that, I
always rebooted the machine. I don't know how it will function without
rebooting the machine, or if it's even possible to upgrade Perl properly
without a reboot.

Jorn