mail

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Sep 1 03:47:10 GMT 2005

John Larson wrote:

>how do I make mail read the mail. I can read mail
>using mail -f mail. mail being a file that is created
>when mail is sent to a specific user. I have set the
>folder in the home directory .mailrc. what other
>changes do I need to make.
>John Larson

With my tongue only 2/3rds of the way in my cheek,
based on the subject line of all your posts this month, ;-)
I'm going to suggest either one of:

1.  Go to Yahoo.com and click "Free mail: sign up"
(a wimp's way, dare I say? ;-)    [Hmm, I guess I
should have taken notice of your e-mail address
before I said that.  Nothing personal*, believe me....]

or:

2.  Perform the following, as root.

# cd /usr/ports/mail/mutt
# make install clean
# rehash
# echo "alias mail mutt" >> ~/.cshrc
# source ~/.cshrc
# mail

Probably even pine or elm would be preferable
to plain old mail(1).  When a program's man(1) page
uses the phrase "command syntax reminiscent of
ed(1)" ... well, for some of us, that's quite enough
'sed' right there.  :-)

Kevin Kinsey

*NB: while the sarcasm in this post is, for the most
part, intentional, it is in no way intended to be
personal.  IMHO, suggesting a superior alternative
in software is a pretty friendly gesture, and I certainly
bear no ill will against someone I've never met. H.A.N.D!
:-)