Quick Routing Question

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd at sentinelchicken.net
Mon Oct 31 21:41:47 PST 2005

I am setting up a wireless subnet and, while the gateway (FreeBSD
system) is communicating fine with the wireless router, my other subnet
is not able to connect to the wireless router. Here is a diagram of my
network, I think it's fairly typical.

                         Wired Subnet (10.0.0.x)
                            /
                           /
Internet <-- FreeBSD Machine
                           \
                            \
                         Wireless Subnet (192.168.1.x)

The 'wired' interface on the FreeBSD machine has an IP of 10.0.0.1, with
the 'wireless' IP being 192.168.1.1.  Now, the FreeBSD machine and the
wireless router (192.168.1.2) communicate fine as does the wired subnet;
however, I am not able to connect from a 10.0.0.x client to the wireless
router. After running traceroute, etc, it seems that the FreeBSD machine
is simply not routing the data from one subnet to the other. I've
verified that it's not the firewall blocking packets. How do I get these
subnets to communicate?

Thanks,
Jason