Compile Kernel Question

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Oct 31 18:09:34 PST 2005

On 2005-10-31 19:57, Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie at outstep.com> wrote:
> For a particular project as small web hosting company called
> "PeoplesQuest Web Hosting Services" we are going to be using a
> control panel H-Sphere that needs FreeBSD 4.11 because of some
> particular Java dependency so I have had that version loaded onto
> the server so that we can migrate over from Linux.

That definitely makes sense.  If 4.11 is what you need and it works
fine for your project, then it's absolutely fine to keep using that
version.

> If all goes well, then in the future we will update to the latest
> stable versions of FreeBSD but I am going to be carefully watching
> how it performs in comparison to various Linux versions although I
> am told that FreeBSD is very stable and performs extremely well, and
> better in many cases that Linux, under heavy loads.

To be realistic, FreeBSD doesn't *always* axceed the performance of a
Linux system.  You can certainly find particular workloads for which
Linux outperforms FreeBSD.  The reverse is also true, of course ;-)

Speaking for myself, after almost 7 years of working with FreeBSD,
it's not just the "raw performance" that keeps me away from Linux
if I can help it.  Other factors count too.

Not to turn this into a huge advocacy thread, let me just say that
the reasons why someone might prefer FreeBSD over Linux have been
discussed about a billion times on this and other mailing lists
of FreeBSD.  You will most certainly find pointers very easily by
Googling around the *.freebsd.* hierarchy of discussion groups[1]
and searching the mailing list archives[2]: