Compile Kernel Question

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:15:57 PST 2005

Lonnie Cumberland sat at his 'puter and typed on 11/1/2005 3:05:
> Greetings All,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD but have a lot of Linux experience so I think that
> the migration should not be too difficult.
>
> The reason that I am investigating FreeBSD is because I hear that it
> performs GREAT under heavy loads and many larger ISP are using it
> without fail. In my experience, Linux, although a great OS, seems to
> bog down under heavy loading. I could be wrong though and it could
> have just been to misconfiguration on my part.
>
> Well, I have a base installation of FreeBSD 4.11 which is needed for a
> particular project but now need to compile the kernel to support QUOTA's.
>
> My question is how do I install the sources over the web so that I can
> compile the kernel to support quotas?
>
> The FreeBSD docs tell a little, but mostly assume that you have the
> sources already on the system to compile which I do not have and need
> to download them.
>
> If some one could please give me a little guidance then I would
> greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lonnie

Did you have a look at the handbook? Read through the chapter which
describes about building your own kernel and world.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Thanks
S.

--
               |               Subhro Sankha Kar
    \   /      |  GSM: +919831064613  --  Fax: +919831832913
     \./       |  MSN:subhro at subhro.org  --  Yahoo: subhro82
    (0Y0)      |  ICQ: 203567534         --  AIM: bsdboy1982