Compile Kernel Question

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Oct 31 13:35:18 PST 2005

Greetings All,

I am new to FreeBSD but have a lot of Linux experience so I think that
the migration should not be too difficult.

The reason that I am investigating FreeBSD is because I hear that it
performs GREAT under heavy loads and many larger ISP are using it
without fail. In my experience, Linux, although a great OS, seems to bog
down under heavy loading. I could be wrong though and it could have just
been to misconfiguration on my part.

Well, I have a base installation of FreeBSD 4.11 which is needed for a
particular project but now need to compile the kernel to support QUOTA's.

My question is how do I install the sources over the web so that I can
compile the kernel to support quotas?

The FreeBSD docs tell a little, but mostly assume that you have the
sources already on the system to compile which I do not have and need to
download them.

If some one could please give me a little guidance then I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Lonnie