Login Max Chr?

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon Oct 31 13:27:41 PST 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005, Sean Murphy wrote:
>Andrew P. wrote:
>>On 10/31/05, Sean Murphy <smurphy at calarts.edu> wrote:
>>>I am running FreeBSD 5.4
>>>
>>>Is there a way to change the eight character login length to allow more
>>>characters?
>>>
>>>The reason is I would like to do first initial last name for the login.
>>>However some last names are longer than eight characters.  It would also
>>>work well for email addresses on the server.

>>I thought it was 16 characters:

>is there any problems with using 16 characters with any applications or
>do the applications don't care the login name length for example
>
>email using
>uw-imap
>uw-pop

There may be issues with some legacy applications.  The only
program I know offhand that complains about login names greater
than 8 characters is COPS (I may just be running an ancient
version of that).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``the purpose of government is to reign in the rights of the people''
    -Bill Clinton during an interview on MTV in 1993