cannot get IP working between associated ath0 & AP, what to do?

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Mon Oct 31 10:25:42 PST 2005

Hi,

I have an SMC PCMCIA wireless adapter, model SMCWCB-G, based on an
Atheros 5212 chipset, in a laptop running a fresh install of FreeBSD
6.0-RC1.

The card associates fine, but then fails to send any IP packets in the
air, or at least that's what I presume is going on. I cannot ping the
AP, I cannot get a lease using DHCP, basically the only thing I can do
is associate. I think it does associate because when I set an invalid
wep key, the status changes back to 'no carrier'. Setting a static IP
address does not help.

Any hints on where I might go from here to debug this? I know the
setup should work because in a previous life [1] it Worked With
Windows[TM] (and on the same AP).

Thanks,

--Stijn

[1] read: the day before yesterday...

--
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?