backup strategies

Csaba Henk csaba-ml at creo.hu
Mon Oct 31 10:00:46 PST 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 10:32:02AM -0600, Eric Schuele wrote:
> The online manual mentions it in 16.13.  Wouldn't hurt for it to be in
> the man page as well.

Oh, yeah, thanks.

This makes things clear. I missed this somehow.

> AFAIK FreeBSD 5.0+. Other *BSD as well, i believe... but someone else
> would have to answer that.
>
> >(AFAIK, softupdates is supported also in other members of the BSD
> >family, yet the NetBSD dump manpage didn't have such a -L flag...)

OK, as I understand now, softupdates might be available for other BSD-s,
but snapshotting is not a "free bonus" which comes with softupdates, but
a new innovation based on that... and is a true FBSD innovation. So I'd
guess it's still a unique thing.

--
Csaba Henk

My sense of humour is often too subtle to cope with getting smileyd.
Please don't take it personal.