Sed howto

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Oct 31 05:43:17 PST 2005

On 2005-10-30 15:56, K?vesd?n G?bor <gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu> wrote:
>> I concur.  The 20 pages on sed are probably part of what you
>> want.  It doesn't answer your "besides..." however.  Perhaps
>> someone else can help there.  Here's a link to O'Reilly:
>>
>> http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/utp/UnixTextProcessing.pdf
>
> It is a really such a book, that I should read. Not only the
> sed part, but the entire book seems interesting and useful.
> Thanks.

Another very good book that introduces sed and other utilities
that are powerful tools in the toolchain of a UNIX user, is the
still classic book of Brian W. Kernighan & Rob Pike:

    The UNIX Programming Environment
    by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike.
    Prentice Hall, Inc., 1984.
    ISBN 0-13-937681-X (paperback), 0-13-937699-2 (hardback).
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/upe/

It's a bit old now, but some of the concepts it introduces are,
in my opinion, central and essential to the every day work of a
UNIX user.

- Giorgos