Mounting an iPod

edward kouye at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 31 04:52:45 PST 2005

OK, this is the status :

- I have built HFS/HFS+ support into the kernel as described in :
http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/

- My iPod is recognised on ad0 when I plug it in under console mode :
firewire0: New S400 device ID:000a270002b6bcd8
da0 at sbp0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da: <Apple Co iPod 2700> Removable Simplified Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 50.000MB/s transfers
da0: 3906MB (7999488 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 497C)

- But I connot mount it as a volume :
# mount -t hfs /dev/da0s3 /mnt
hfs: /dev/da0s3: Operation not supported by device

- I installed hfsutils from the ports collection. Using the hmount
utility from this package seems to mount the iPod, but the volume is
empty (although there are many songs on my iPod) :
# hmount /dev/daOs3 /mnt/ipod
Volume name is "iPod" (locked)
Volume was created on Thu Jan 15 18:55:34 2004
Volume was last modified on Thu Jan 15 18:55:34 2004
Volume has 0 bytes free
# ls /mnt/ipod
(nothing listed)

Suggestions warmly welcome...