make.conf - question

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Mon Oct 31 01:47:34 PST 2005

At 01:53 AM 10/31/2005, Vladimir Dvorak wrote:
>Hello,
>
>where can I found ALL parameters suited for /etc/make.conf ? For
>example, I wanted install some software from ports without X11, but
>
>man 5 make.conf
>
>doesn`t include WITHOUT_X11 option.
>
>Fortunatelly I found this page
>
>http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=make.conf
>
>and included some necessary parameters into my make.conf.
>
>Ok, I found this
>
>--- man make.conf ---
>The purpose of make.conf is not to run commands or perform compilation
>      actions directly.  Instead, it is included by the various makefiles in
>      /usr/src, /usr/ports and /usr/doc which conditionalize their internal
>      actions according to the settings found there.
>
>in man page, but im not sure where exactly should I look ?

As stated above, make.conf applies to building things in /usr/src
/usr/ports and /usr/doc.  Anything you can control with environment
variables when building in those dirs can be added to make.conf.

If you're looking for general settings that can be changed in ports
for example, you'll find info in the ports(7) man
page.  Additionally, individual ports my have additional settings.

-Glenn