Canonical upgrade procedure for 6.0?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 30 07:52:44 PST 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 11:44:24AM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello Roland,
>       Thanks for the response.
>
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Roland Smith wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 10:28:35AM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >     Is there anywhere on the FreeBSD.org site that has any (even if semi-official) procedure for upgrading a FreeBSD-5Stable machine (i386) to 6.0?
> >
> > Chapter 20 of the Handbook details how to update your system with cvsup
> > and how to rebuild your kernel+world.
>
> I know about the procedures details in that chapter, however, I'm
> recalling the fact that at one point in time, there was a "migrating"
> link (http://www.freebsd.org/old/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html)
> on the old website that included, if you will, *the way* to migrate
> from FreeBSD-4 to FreeBSD-5 - that included changes and extra steps as
> against what is mentioned in chapter 20 in the Handbook.

The migration from 4 to 5 was much more involved, because some
subsystems had been radically changed. The changes from 5 to 6 are less
so, AFAIK.

> If chapter 20 is the way, then fair enough, but I thought it a simple
> thing to ask.

Actually, the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING are considered to be
canonical, AFAIK. Chapter 20 refers to it. Look for "COMMON ITEMS",
especially "To upgrade in-place from 5.x-stable to current".

That being said, I guess the least troublesome route is to make a backup
of your data (including configuration files), wipe the disks and do a
re-install of 6.0. That way you can be sure there are no leftovers from
5.x. And then you can "port" your config files to the new release.

Especially, it gives you an opportinity to tune things like slices and
their sizes. Personally I like to have /home on a separate slice for
easy dumps and backups, since my /usr is to big to fit on DVD with
/usr/home in it.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.