Can a process be made immune to out-of-swap-space kills?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sat Oct 29 13:34:09 PDT 2005

Sometimes, I accidentally run something that eats up too much memory
and causes the pager to run out of swap space and start shooting down
processes to rectify the situation.  Sometimes, the process chosen for
demolition happens to be `screen.'  Since this process sorta manages a
whole lot of others and, on being zapped out of existence, leaves many
of them running but inaccessible, I find this choice decidedly
inconvenient.

Is there a way for me to force FreeBSD to leave `screen' (or any other
process) alone when selecting something to kill to free memory?

Please Cc me any answers.

Thanks much.

--
Doug Lee           dgl at dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org