reusing existing mysql permissions/dbs/tables after update

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 10:32:57 PDT 2005

mysql was among the many ports I just upgraded, and (of course) I can
now no longer connect using mysql or mysqladmin.  I've tried just
about every method I've found including starting the daemon with the
--skip-grant-tables option to reset the password (which has worked in
the past), and most every other suggestion listed in section 5.7.8 of
the MySQL reference manual.

It seems like running the mysql_install_db script might do the
trick... but if I understand correctly, running this script will
re-initialize the grant tables... correct?  Is there another way of
regaining access to mysql, without losing the current relationships
between dBs/tables and their users?  Or, how can I get to the current
grant information (in human-readable format), so that I can restore it
later?

Thank you,
~John

# uname -a
FreeBSD zurg.thedestefanos.com 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Mon
Oct 24 22:27:33 EDT 2005
root at zurg.thedestefanos.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386

# pkg_info | grep mysql
mysql-client-5.0.15 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-server-5.0.15 Multithreaded SQL database (server)
php5-mysql-5.0.5_1  The mysql shared extension for php