portupgrade stale dependencies

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sat Oct 29 07:10:27 PDT 2005

> I ended up deinstalling that apache installation (which I was not keen
> on doing), and installing the apache20 port (which was the same
> version (2.0.55) as the apache2 port <?>), and, thankfully, it's
> working fine.  I'm also now able to run both 'pkgdb -F'and 'portsdb
> -Uu' without ANY errors (except for a few 'Duplicate INDEX entry'
> warnings).
>
> Needless to say, this process wasn't much fun.  What can I do to keep
> this from happening again?  What can/can't I safely include in cron to
> automate database and index maintenance?
>
> Thanks to all.

What I do for critical system ports is a manual upgrade.  I have
never trusted any of the port management tools.  I suggest you pay
attention to bugtracker and some other sites.  When you see a
compelling reason to upgrade, do it manually.  The process I use is
what I described in an earlier post:

#cd /usr/ports/port-to-upgrade && make deinstall
#make install

#<restart whatever port I just upgraded>

HTH

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks