OpenAFS for FreeBSD...

Jack T jackt123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 06:19:59 PDT 2005

On 10/29/05, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Is this something that needs to be fixed in the port?
> How stable is it? How about performance?
> I have been looking into AFS and Arla sounds interesting.

It's a known Arla issue (the file overwriting thing), but I believe
it's too extensive for us to fix it for them. Arla developers
would have to work on it.

RE:Performance, it seems to perform fine enough for me.
YMMV. You can configure a low- and high- watermark
for the local cache, so once the files are cached, read is
instantaneous, and write+close sometimes would pause
if my network is slow.

RE:Stability, I haven't encountered bugs. But one issue
does come up: often, if I do something like "cat *"
or "cp *" a large number of files, and I hit Ctrl-C, it emitts
a scary sounding message to syslog (something like
"pipe broken due to lack of data" or something). I always
fear that may corrupt AFS files somehow,
so I don't do that anymore.

:)