portupgrade stale dependencies

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:18:48 PDT 2005

On Friday 28 October 2005 19:51, John DeStefano wrote:
> On 10/28/05, Michael C. Shultz <ringworm01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Talk about strange:
> > >
> > > # cd /usr/ports/www/apache20/
> > > # make deinstall
> > > ===>  Deinstalling for www/apache20
> > > ===>   apache not installed, skipping
> > >
> > > # make -V PKGNAME
> > > apache-2.0.55
> > >
> > > # pkg_info | grep apache
> > > apache-2.0.48       Version 2 of the extremely popular Apache http
> > > server
> > >
> > > # apachectl -v
> > > Server version: Apache/2.0.48
> > > Server built:   Nov 19 2003 22:44:21
> >
> > Try
> > ls /var/db/pkg/a*
> > any apache versions in there?
> >
> > -Mike
>
> Yep: it was 2.0.48
>
> I ended up deinstalling that apache installation (which I was not keen
> on doing), and installing the apache20 port (which was the same
> version (2.0.55) as the apache2 port <?>), and, thankfully, it's
> working fine.  I'm also now able to run both 'pkgdb -F'and 'portsdb
> -Uu' without ANY errors (except for a few 'Duplicate INDEX entry'
> warnings).
>
> Needless to say, this process wasn't much fun.  What can I do to keep
> this from happening again?  What can/can't I safely include in cron to
> automate database and index maintenance?
>
> Thanks to all.

Pardon my bias agan ;) but I'd recommend only updating with portmanager.
From cron I'd just run a cvsupdate and portmanager -s > /root/portmanager.log.
Review the log from time toi time and when you see something that should be
updated run portmanager -u manually.  Some ports do not do well being built
from cron so will save you much trouble to do the updates manually.  As far
as the INDEX goes, portmanager doesn't require it, but other utilies do so
maybe add a make fetch index to cron as well.

Congradulations on getting everything fixed BTW.

-Mike