FreeBSD doesn't recognize my hard drive

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Oct 28 17:02:41 PDT 2005

Tim Goodaire <tgoodaire at linux.ca> writes:

> They're IDE drives. The first drive is detected as this:
>
>  ad0: 38166MB <WDC WD400EB-00CPF0 06.04G06> at ata0-master UDMA33
>
> Tim
>
> Derrick MacPherson wrote:
>
> >ide? scsi? what type of card or controller are the plugged into?
> >
> >On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 13:06 -0400, Tim Goodaire wrote:
> >
> >>Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm having an odd problem. I have an old P2 box with two
> >> harddrives. Both of them are detected fine in the BIOS, and they
> >> are both listed at boot up, when it lists the BIOS drives. After
> >> that, there is no mention of the second drive in the boot messages,
> >> and there isn't a device listed for it in /dev.
> >>
> >> I don't know what's going on. Both drives worked find under Linux,
> >> and it seems like FreeBSD sort of knows about this drive. Any ideas
> >> on what I can do to track down the problem?

Just the obvious kind of tracking things down:
Is the controller detected for the drive that isn't detected?
Is anything else on that controller?
If not, is the disk in the master slot on that bus?

And all the normal stuff that was posted just before your original
question: http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.