portupgrade stale dependencies

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Oct 27 18:51:13 PDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 8:32 PM, John DeStefano wrote:

> On 10/27/05, Andrew P. <infofarmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/05, John DeStefano <john.destefano at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> After clearing out the ports, updating ports (with portsnap) and
>>> source, and rebuilding the system and kernel... it seemed the
>>> ultimate
>>> problem was actually a dependency of the package to apache1.3.
>>> After I
>>> ran 'pkgdb -F' and "fixed" this dependency to point to apache2.1,
>>> but
>>> I still had trouble installing ports.

At this point, what usually works for me is to:

#cd /usr && rm -rf ./ports

#mkdir ./ports && cvsup /root/ports-supfile

The above will delete your ENTIRE ports tree, provided it's kept in /
usr/ports and as long as you use cvsup (and your ports supfile is /
root/ports-supfile as mine is).  When a whole bunch of ports stop
working, I find this is the easiest thing to do.

The other thing I do is run a cron job every week that updates, via
cvsup, the ports tree.  About once a year I perform the above, mostly
to clean out the crap.  Re-downloading your entire ports tree will be
quicker if you don't use the ports-all tag and actually define which
port segments you are interested in.  For example, there's no real
reason to download all the x11/kde/gnome crap if you're doing this on
a headless server that isn't going to serve X.

HTH