kqueue and polling ... are they related?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Oct 27 02:19:43 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 05:09:58PM +0800, ke.han wrote:
> Dear list,
> I will be using kqueue on freeBSD 6.0-rc1 and need to understand the
> relationship between kqueue and polling since polling support requires
> explicite enabling and choosing the correct ethernet drivers, etc...
> First, is there a relationship between kqueue and polling?  The kqueue
> man page refers to the poll man page.  The polling man page does not
> refer to either poll or kqueue.
> So, does kqueue require polling to be enabled? Any elaboration would be
> appreciated.
> thanks, ke han

The kqueue(2) manpage does refer to the manpage for the poll(2) system call,
which is an older alternative to using kqueue. The same goes for select(2),
which is also an alternative to using kqueue(2) or poll(2).

None of these have any relation to polling of the network interfaces as
described in the polling(4) manpage.
The only connection between poll(2) and polling(4) is that they have similar
names.

So, to answer your question: No, you do not need to have polling enabled in
order to use kqueue.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson