Hardware selection for comment.

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 19:07:14 PDT 2005

On Wed 26 Oct 05 18:17, "Murray Taylor" <MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au>
wrote:
> I'd stay away from ATI unless you are sure FreeBSD/Xorg/DRI supports
> it.
>
>   I have a cheap ATI based card and the performance on this machine,
> even 2D stuff, sucks because the card is only barely supported.
>
> HTH,
> Micah
>

> Thanks Micah,
>
> Gawd...
> Instead of saying what the supplier is suggesting, maybe I should
> turn it about and ask for suggestions re graphics cards that people
> are using that have proven support and capabilities under my proposed
> os/hardware platform choice .....
>
> So ---
> What are you using ??

Actually, I'm using an ATI Radeon 9600XT. It's supported, but just in
the basic sense. I don't have hardware acceleration or 3D at all, but I
don't necessarily need it for FreeBSD. The main reason I got the card
in the first place is to play games on Windoze, which is the only
reason I use that OS anymore. As a dual boot it works fine, if a bit
sluggish on the FreeBSD desktop side (a gig of RAM helps). Having said
that, my next plan is to separate the two so that I have a game machine
and a workstation running FreeBSD, along with a dedicated server for
DNS/mail/spam filtering. When I do that, I'll probably get a halfway
decent NVidia card for the workstation and keep the ATI for Windoze.
Then to upgrade the game machine ... but I get ahead of myself ...

- jt