Qwest DLS & MSN Premium & Linksys Router & FreeBSD.. Oh my

Brandon Weisz brandon.weisz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:22:03 PDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Brandon Weisz wrote:
> > Stay away from the Actiontec GT701-WG DSL router modem device Qwest
> > is pushing.
> > Its running linux of some sort and absolutely pukes at high PPS
> > rates. I didnt bother
> > trouble shooting it, rather I turned it to bridge mode and added a
> > soekris box running FreeBSD
> > behind it to do the pppoe/routing etc for my /29. I didnt try the
> > "msn" service but have been
> > happy with qwest.net <http://qwest.net> as my isp.
> >
> > Brandon
>
> I disagree. I've been using that very router for quite some time
> (roughly a year) and I've had no problems at 7/1.

 I was able to consistently cause it to stop responding by initiating nmap
scans against a host behind it while it was in routing mode. I also
participate in pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org> - when my server was put
into dns and PPS rate was high, it stopped routing traffic. Telneting to the
device and disabling iptables if I remember correctly would correct it. At
any rate the general consensus I found while trying to find a solution to
the problem about the device was poor.
 My solution was to take it out of the picture. I've had no problems since
then.