math/grace port: "libXcursor.so.1.0" not found ??

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 05:15:13 PDT 2005

--- Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com> wrote:

> > I am the only FreeBSD user on the Grace
> mailinglist.
> > Apparently the dlopen() call in grace works fine
> > on Linux and others. But not with FreeBSD.
>
> This is not a problem with the dlopen call *or*
> freebsd - the problem is that it is asking for
> a library 'libXcursor.so.1.0' which does not
> exist on FreeBSD. There is a 'libXcursor.so.1'
> though. You need to get the grace people to change
> the application so it requests the correct
> library when running on FreeBSD.

The reason why the grace developper blames FreeBSD
is because of this:

The executable 'xmgrace' is linked to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
and
'strings /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 | grep libXcursor'
gives:
  libXcursor.so.1.0.2

So according to the grace developper, the reason
for my problem is a problem with libX11.so.6.

But I know nothing about this stuff....

By the way: can someone also explain to me why
libX11.so.6 has the string "libXcursor.so.1.0.2".
I will then forward this to the grace mailinglist,
and tell them that there's something wrong with Grace.

Thank so much!
Rob.