How to terminate TCP connection?

Artem Kuchin matrix at itlegion.ru
Wed Oct 26 04:28:04 PDT 2005

Hi!

I am running several jails. Each jail runs many services includinh SMTP, POP,IMAP,
HTTP.
Somtimes i need to restart all jails.
So, i /etc/rc.d/jail stop

And then i wait until  jls shows nothing.

However, it usually takes very long or unacceptably long because
FreebBSD does not delete jail until all connections to it are gone.

So, i have no processes running in a jail, but netstat -n show several
connections (usually SYN_FIN1, SYN_FIN2, LAST_ACK states) and they hang there
for a very long time. Usually, i have to reboot the server to finaly get rid of all jails and
connctions. But sometimes I need to restart only one jail and have the same problem
and have to wait for 20-30 minutes until all connections die. Clients are ready to kill
me at such moments.

So, the question, Is there a way to kill off stuck tcp connection (or actually ANY connection
which are shown by netstat) or maybe there is a way to force jail termination without
waiting until all connection are gone.

Artem