ipfw2 NAT/forwarding config for bittorrent

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at theworld.com
Tue Oct 25 16:21:22 PDT 2005

Hello -questions:

I would like to make bittorrent work in following scenario:

- machine running py-bittorrent has private ip-address 192.168.x.y
  and currently runs FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

- firewall/NAT machine is FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE, last updated by
  source in November 2004.

- firewall/NAT is ipfw2, has run just fine for months

How do I configure ipfw2 for properly forwarding the bittorrent
ports (6881-6889) to the destination machine?  Log_in_vain is
active on the firewall machine & when bittorrent is active on the
private-ip machine, the firewall's syslog is being cluttered with
attempts on port 6881.

Where in the firewall config would such rule(s) go in relation to
the divert rule?

Would that silence the port 6881 messages & properly pass that
traffic to the internal machine?

So far I'm not understanding the ipfw manpage for port forwarding.
FAQ/documentation/RTFM pointers/examples are quite welcome.  :)

Please CC me any replies.

Thanks,

-kc