updating in single-user mode

Dimitar Vasilev dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 07:57:17 PDT 2005

> > If this isn't a production machine, try it.  I have been doing
> > system
> > updates since 3.4 and not once have I booted into single user mode
> > compile my kernel or userland.  I've even done it as recently as
> > two
> > weeks ago.  I don't have a huge userbase, so my system is pretty
> > quiet.
>
> I also just finished compiling world and compiling & installing my
> kernel in multi-user.  What's the big deal?  I did, though, go into
> single to test (boot) the kernel and install world.
>
> Does anyone have a clear understanding of why things can go wrong otherwise?
From time to time there are library bumps and it's better for you to
be in single user mode to upgrade your system properly.
I had ruined a mailserver when I updated the named on it from 8.x to
9.3.x - I was in multiuser, with securelevel turned on and the named
running.
After that I had to run couple of times the build to get everything fixed.
Now I run in multiuser buildworld et all on machines I have no serial
access to and before that I check with UPDATING to see what will fail
potentially.

--
Димитър Василев
Dimitar Vassilev

GnuPG key ID: 0x4B8DB525
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint: D88A 3B92 DED5 917E 341E D62F 8C51 5FC4 4B8D B525