Qwest DLS & MSN Premium & Linksys Router & FreeBSD.. Oh my

Brandon Weisz brandon.weisz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 06:04:41 PDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2005, at 10:47 PM, Kris Anderson wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I'm getting off cable (Comcast and 6 megabits) and
> > either looking at Qwest DSL w/MSN premium or a service
> > called Clear Wire (Wireless internet).
> >
> > I'm a bit baffled because Qwest says they have a deal
> > that I could get DSL for $19.99 a month for a year. Of
> > course the fine prints MSN is the ISP so forth and so
> > on.
> >

> [snip]
>
> > How I had it previously was Comcast's modem to
> > wireless router (Linksys WRT-54G), a little Linksys
> > switch, FreeBSD and misc. Windows computers happily
> > sharing the connection.
> >
> > Just to confirm, my guess is that this would not be
> > the service to go with since I would love to have my
> > spiffy Linksys Router (WRT-54G) hook to the DSL. And
> > to the WR54G the usual network systems of FreeBSD, and
> > misc Windows computers.
> >
> > If the above isn't going to work then I'm stuck with a
> > different bundle (a few bucks more) that would allow
> > me to do the same thing. I hope. I'm not familiar with
> > the way in which DSL does its connectivity thing.
> > Okay, I saw in a previous question that PPoE is needed
> > with DSL. And I noticed that I could set my WRT54G to
> > utilize PPoE, so maybe MSN ISP & Qwest service will
> > work?
> >
> > So am I right in still thinking that with MSN as the
> > ISP my setup it isn't going to be FreeBSD friendly and
> > that my spiffy little Comcast setup isn't going to
> > work with MSN as the ISP?
> >
> > Most appreciated. Gah, that means I'm probably not
> > going to be needing my little WRT-54G router then. :~(
> >
> > Hope I wasn't to confusiong there.
> >

> Your FreeBSD system will work fine. You login credentials get
> entered into the DSL router/modem. If you want to do some
> webhosting, etc out of your home, spend the extra money and utilize a
> *real* ISP. Even Qwest.net <http://Qwest.net> supports static IP addresses
> (up to a /26).
>
> HTH

Stay away from the Actiontec GT701-WG DSL router modem device Qwest is
pushing.
Its running linux of some sort and absolutely pukes at high PPS rates. I
didnt bother
trouble shooting it, rather I turned it to bridge mode and added a soekris
box running FreeBSD
behind it to do the pppoe/routing etc for my /29. I didnt try the "msn"
service but have been
happy with qwest.net <http://qwest.net/> as my isp.

Brandon