updating in single-user mode

Dimitar Vasilev dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 21:52:22 PDT 2005

> I don't reccommend doing installworld or kernel in multiuser, but I have never
> had any problems doing it on a lightly loaded machine. With that said what
> could bite you is your new kernel not booting or something broken in
> userland. You will then need console access (serial or local) to fix it. I
> would set up your machine with serial console access and use a laptop or
> another machine when you reboot.
>
> Beech
> --
I have done it when there is NO activity on the machine. Read UPDATING first.
Reset your securelevel to -1, stop all services except SSH and go.
It's possible to break your machine though.
Then you have to rebuild it again and it's 50/50 to succeed.
As advised twice, use serial cables/KVM switches if possible.
--
Димитър Василев
Dimitar Vassilev

GnuPG key ID: 0x4B8DB525
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint: D88A 3B92 DED5 917E 341E D62F 8C51 5FC4 4B8D B525