Fwd: Re: Qwest DLS & MSN Premium & Linksys Router & FreeBSD.. Oh my

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 21:15:34 PDT 2005

Oops, I don't think this got to the list. So I'm
sending just in case.
--- Steve Camp <steve at camp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where are you located?
  Oregon.
> I'm in Denver.  I use Qwest DSL, but Dimensional
> Communications /
> Forethought (www.dim.com / www.dimensional.com /
> www.forethought.com)
> is my ISP.  No way in hell that I'd use MSN for my
> ISP.
 So I take it that my little eutopia wont work then.
:(
> I'd inquire about using a 3rd party ISP.  That has
> not been a problem
> with Qwest here in  Denver.  At one point phone
> companies were
> required to open their DSL networks to 3rd party
> ISPs.  Not sure if
> that is still the case or not.  But I'm pretty
> positive that 3rd party
> ISP is not a problem, at least in the Denver area.
> You might not get
> the killer monthly deal, though.  But  you can get
> things like static
> IPs, possibly a /29 or /28 network if you have a
> good reason /
> multiple machines.  You can typically also run other
> protocols (e.g.
> ftp, smtp, telnet, www etc) on a 3rd party ISP / DSL
> setup.
I think they have another deal that doesn't use MSN.
Not the killer 19.99 deal though. :(
> Hope this helps.
It did a little, I got a good laugh from your comment
about MSN. Alrighty, I'll do more research then work
on the logistics of getting service of some kind
(maybe that clear wire gizmo).