Qwest DLS & MSN Premium & Linksys Router & FreeBSD.. Oh my

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 20:47:32 PDT 2005

Hey folks,

I'm getting off cable (Comcast and 6 megabits) and
either looking at Qwest DSL w/MSN premium or a service
called Clear Wire (Wireless internet).

I'm a bit baffled because Qwest says they have a deal
that I could get DSL for $19.99 a month for a year. Of
course the fine prints MSN is the ISP so forth and so
on.

Their fine print -
Qwest Choice™ DSL Deluxe with MSN® Premium: Available
for residential use only. Service not available in all
areas. Special offer available for new Qwest DSL®
customers only and includes $19.99 monthly charge for
12 months when combined on one bill with a qualifying
home phone pac kage ($24.99 otherwise), free
activation and 50% off optional technician
installation (regularly $100). After twelve months of
service, price will revert to standard pricing which
is currently $39.99 per month when service is combined
with a qualifying Qwest local phone package on one
bill (otherwise $44.99 per month). Rates subject to
change. Limit of one bundle discount for DSL services
per account. Qwest local phone service or package
required. DSL modem can be purchased from Qwest for
$59.99 or rented for $5/month ,plus $9.99 shipping and
handling fee. Non Qwest-supplied modems may not be
supported. Actual DSL speed varies depending on a
variety of factors. Uninterrupted or error-free
service not guaranteed. All prices do not include
taxes, incremental charges and surcharges. Other
restrictions may apply. MSN ISP requires agreement to
MSN Acceptable Use Policy. Microsoft, MSN and the MSN
logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of
Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or
other countries. Special Offer until January 28, 2006.

Qwest Choice™ DSL with MSN® Premium: Available for
residential use only. Service not available in all
areas. Special offer available for new Qwest DSL®
customers only and includes free activation and 50%
off optional technician installation (regularly
$99.99). After twelve months of service, price will
revert to standard pricing which is currently $39.99
per month when service is combined with a qualifying
Qwest local phone package on one bill (otherwise
$44.99 per month). Rates subject to change. Limit of
one bundle discount for DSL services per account.
Qwest local phone service or package required. Mod em
may be purchased from Qwest for $59.99 or rented for
$5/month, plus $9.99 shipping and handling fee. Non
Qwest-supplied modems may not be supported. Actual DSL
speed varies depending on a variety of factors.
Uninterrupted or error-free service not guaranteed.
Prices do not include taxes, incremental charges and
surcharges. Other restrictions may apply. MSN ISP
requires agreement to MSN Acceptable Use Policy.
Microsoft, MSN and the MSN logo are either registered
trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in
the United States and/or other countries. Special
Offer valid until January 28, 2006.
-

How I had it previously was Comcast's modem to
wireless router (Linksys WRT-54G), a little Linksys
switch, FreeBSD and misc. Windows computers happily
sharing the connection.

Just to confirm, my guess is that this would not be
the service to go with since I would love to have my
spiffy Linksys Router (WRT-54G) hook to the DSL. And
to the WR54G the usual network systems of FreeBSD, and
misc Windows computers.

If the above isn't going to work then I'm stuck with a
different bundle (a few bucks more) that would allow
me to do the same thing. I hope. I'm not familiar with
the way in which DSL does its connectivity thing.
Okay, I saw in a previous question that PPoE is needed
with DSL. And I noticed that I could set my WRT54G to
utilize PPoE, so maybe MSN ISP & Qwest service will
work?

So am I right in still thinking that with MSN as the
ISP my setup it isn't going to be FreeBSD friendly and
that my spiffy little Comcast setup isn't going to
work with MSN as the ISP?

Most appreciated. Gah, that means I'm probably not
going to be needing my little WRT-54G router then. :~(

Hope I wasn't to confusiong there.

~Mr. Anderson