updating in single-user mode

Beecher Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:12:20 PDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 02:24 pm, John DeStefano wrote:
> When updating world, section 20.4.5 of the handbook calls for dropping
> to single user mode.  The reasons given for this make sense.  But this
> is a problem for me: my BSD server does not have a local K/V/M setup
> connected directly to it; it sits on my network and I connect to it
> via PuTTy for administration.
>
> Is there a way to achieve single-user mode while still being able to
> connect remotely (via LAN)?  (I know that's something of an oximoron,
> but I needed to ask)  And if not, am I losing any serious
> features/functionality of the update process by _not_ dropping into
> single user?
>
> Thanks,
> ~John

I don't reccommend doing installworld or kernel in multiuser, but I have never
had any problems doing it on a lightly loaded machine. With that said what
could bite you is your new kernel not booting or something broken in
userland. You will then need console access (serial or local) to fix it. I
would set up your machine with serial console access and use a laptop or
another machine when you reboot.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech at gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \