updating in single-user mode

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 15:24:19 PDT 2005

When updating world, section 20.4.5 of the handbook calls for dropping
to single user mode.  The reasons given for this make sense.  But this
is a problem for me: my BSD server does not have a local K/V/M setup
connected directly to it; it sits on my network and I connect to it
via PuTTy for administration.

Is there a way to achieve single-user mode while still being able to
connect remotely (via LAN)?  (I know that's something of an oximoron,
but I needed to ask)  And if not, am I losing any serious
features/functionality of the update process by _not_ dropping into
single user?

Thanks,
~John