traffic accounting per username with ipfw in 5.4 ? (more)

user user at dhp.com
Mon Oct 24 14:54:29 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Andrew P. wrote:

> On 10/25/05, user <user at dhp.com> wrote:
> >
> > I remember that ipfw had been augmented some time ago to do traffic
> > counting, etc., based on usernames ... but I see no mention of that in the
> > ipfw man page on my 5.4-RELEASE system.
> >
> > Is this something that only exists in IPFW2 ?  Does ipfw2 even exist
> > anymore ?
> >
> > Can someone clarify for me what is going on with regard to what used to be
> > called IPFW2, FreeBSD 5.x, and per-user traffic counting ?
> >
> > thanks.
>
> ipfw2 replaced ipfw in 5.x
>
> Read the manpage more carefully, please. Search
> for "uid" option.

Thanks - I was searching for username and getting nowhere.  Also, thank
you for the clarification regarding ipfw2/ipfw and their current state.

I notice that the traffic accounting per uid only applies to traffic
initiated by that user, and initiated from the local machine.  If I scp a
file away from the machine (as user X) the traffic does not get
incremented, and if I scp a file to the local machine (as user X) it also
does not get incremented - even though those are non-anonymous actions
that occur under the auspices of a particular username.

Doe anyone have any suggestions for traffic accounting (of particularly
ssh traffic) on a per user basis, for _all_ traffic that occurs under the
auspices of that username, and not just what _they themselves_ initiate,
personally, in their own login shell ?

Thank you.