Backing up postgresql data

Bob Lee bob at bobleeit.net
Mon Oct 24 10:49:47 PDT 2005

Hello Pat,

Just advice from another user -- I always used the dump facility and
have restored the data successfully using this method. Thge only
glitch that I can ever recall was self-inflicted as I upgraded the DB
and then the data couldn't be directly restored. That was a while ago
and my memory may not be perfect on that detail.

Bob Lee
Quoting Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com>:
> I've got postgresql 8 running on my system, and want to do nightly
> backups of the database.  I took a look at the docs, and there are a
> few methods of doing backups - pg_dump, file system level, and using
> WAL.  I just want to be able to rsync my data every night, maybe every
> few hours, so that I can recover it if there are any problems...so
> what's the best way to do this.  Are there any scripts or utilities
> available to make my life easy?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat

     ********* I prefer mail in plain text format **********