Preloading of shared libraries

Philip Lykke Carlsen plcplc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:13:34 PDT 2005

Sunday 23 October 2005 18:23 skrev du:
> Philip Lykke Carlsen wrote:
> > Hey.. I wondered if it was possible to load a selection of shared
> > libraies into the cache at boot time.. I figure that it would speed up
> > starting things.. like the KDE login manager for instance..
> >
> > hm.. is this possible? .. and if so.. would it speed up the process of
> > starting stuff at all?..
>
> Sort of.  At one point, you could set the sticky bit on files as a hint to
> the pager to try and keep them in memory, which was intended for things
> like /bin/sh, cron, login, and maybe libc.

aah.. I always wondered what the sticky bit actually did..

> Whether it would help in your particular case is harder to say, how much
> RAM does your machine have, and what kind of CPU?  Some people believe that
> KDE requires excessive resources for what it does, consider fluxbox or
> something more lightweight...

No problem when when it comes to resources.. ( I have an ordinary x86 2,6 GHz
Celeron CPU and 768 mb DDR RAM )
I tried fluxbox once.. didn't like it though.. but that's just a matter of
taste.. just thought I'd try KDE as a change as I've previously only used
wm's like EvilWM, LWM, TWM an Co..
.. so, there isn't a program that doesn't do anything but load a shared object
into memory and then close? ..
hm.. if all it takes is to call open() for a sticky-bit file to stay in
memory, I'd gladly write that program myself :-)