Open Sound System on FreeBSD 6 RC1

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 07:31:57 PDT 2005

On 10/24/05, Andrew P. <infofarmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/05, Nick J. Date <nick.date at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hiya!
> >
> > I've just "upgraded" my FreeBSD installation from 5.4-RELEASE to
> > 6.0-RC1. With 5.4 I learnt that my sound card (SoundBlaster Live!
> > 24-bit) wasn't supported by the drivers that come with FreeBSD, so I was
> > using the free version of the Open Sound System (www.opensound.com)
> > drivers.
> >
> > On installing 6.0-RC1, I didn't want to take any chances so I downloaded
> > the OSS drivers again (selecting 6.0-RC1 as my operating system this
> > time). The installation and sound tests completed fine and I could hear
> > music being played. However, although the driver now loads on startup,
> > it doesn't load any sort of mixer support and the device /dev/mixer
> > doesn't exist. Even attempting to load OSS's own mixer software reports
> > that /dev/mixer is non-existant. A re-install doesn't help and I can't
> > find any option in the set up program that might make the mixer work.
> >
> > Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so does anyone know of a
> > solution?
> >
> > Anyway, if anyone could give me a hand or point me in the right
> > direction it would be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Nick.
> >
> > --
> > Nick Date
> > Bath, England, UK
> >

> http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560

Actually, apart from editing devfs.conf as per my
advice in the topic, I've got a startup script,
/root/oss.sh, containing these:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/lib/oss/bin/soundon
/etc/rc.d/devfs restart

and a line in /etc/crontab:
@reboot   root    sleep 30 && /root/oss.sh

I am thinking about writing a port, but still only
thinking.