tun/tap and qemu

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Mon Oct 24 05:45:40 PDT 2005

Qemu uses user-net network stack if NO tun/tap network init script is
found. The example on their website is about linux.

When I use user-net all works very fine, but my virtual machine is
outside my intranet domain. It gets an 10.0.2.x IP As I understand,
using tun/tap gives me the opportunity to use a virtual card that I can
assign an ip like 192.168.11.x That way my virtual machine becomes a
member of that 192.168.11 local network (more like vmware does).

What I did was put the tun0 device in devfs.conf (usr:root:xxx);
perm:660) The device is created under /dev (shouldn't this
be /dev/net ?) But where and how comes the initscript into being?
If I ifconfig tun0 in rc.conf only one extra ip gets assigned.

Can someone shine some light on this matter?

If tun/tap is difficult or not adviced, how can I make my 10.0.0.x
machines show themselves on my mail 192.168.11.xx network?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4